Sunday, April 13, 2014

Theresa and libraries

The Board of Education in the district in which I am observing has decided to implement a full day kindergarten program, as of September 2014.  In an attempt to make more room for a second kindergarten classroom, the superintendent fired all of the librarians in the elementary schools within the district. This would allow the schools to turn the libraries into classrooms.  There will no longer be elementary school librarians in the district.  When I asked what was going to happen with all those books, one of the teachers told me that the superintendent was requiring that all the books be placed in the classrooms.  I am still not sure how I feel about this situation.   Of course I feel badly for the librarians and the students, but I cannot help wondering if this decision is practical? 


          Do classroom teachers have the knowledge that librarians do about the latest books that are in print for young children?  Classroom teachers do not even have time to teach science and social studies, how could they possibly teach all of the necessary library skills? I fear that an appreciation for libraries and reading will be removed from the schools and the entire district.    What would school be like without library? What do you think? Should libraries be eliminated in order to make room for an all day kindergarten?   Can you think of another solution?    

5 comments:

  1. Libraries in elementary schools are important. That is where students get their books from. Even though the library books will be in the classroom, a librarian knows almost each book, she can tell the student which books are in their reading level and what they might find interesting. I do not think a classroom teacher knows about books like a librarian. I learned how to do a research using books and databases from my elementary school librarian. When I was in elementary school, the schools computer lab was in the library. If the school has the library and the computer lab separate, they can join the two and have the second kindergarten as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not think that this decision is practical at all. I think that libraries in elementary school are extremely important. Even though we graduated from the Dewey Decimal System, i believe that the students still need to learn how to navigate the computers to access the books. I believe that library skills are very important for a child. I believe that teachers do have the knowledge to guide the students in learning about books but i'm not sure they will be up to date about the latest books for children and young adults. The appreciation for libraries is definitely being removed from schools and I agree with you that the teachers do not possibly have the time to teach these necessary skills when they can barely fit in social studies and science.Libraries should not be eliminated for an all day kindergarten. I think that if anything, administrators should get trailers for this all day kindergarten until they can figure out a better way or they can make the classrooms work for an all day kindergarten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that school libraries are extremely important in a child’s education. I understand that the school district was trying to figure out an answer to the space problem, but this is not a practical solution. Teachers do have some knowledge about the books their students are reading. However, the Librarians who are the ones who know about the new books or what books to suggest to a student with a specific interest. Additionally, the library is the place that students go to learn how to conduct research. By taking away the school libraries, the district is hindering the students’ educational experience. So, even though the school district believes that the libraries are the only space they can fit a new kindergarten classroom that does not mean the libraries should be discarded all together. The schools should try to find a room or office that is considered to small for a classroom or combine the library with another special room. This way, students are still able to receive a full day kindergarten, as well as have a school library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the districts decision turn closed down all elementary libraries is outrageous. I understand the need for space, but I feel that at the elementary level libraries and librarians is crucial. I think that having the teacher take on the role as a librarian will add more stress to the teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find it absolutely outrageous that the school district closed down all elementary libraries. Having a diverse array of books, especially for emerging readers, is critical for reading growth. I know in my school, which was a Pre-K thru 8 school, they closed down the library to middle school students as a special. Students were still able to go to the library to get books but it was no longer a weekly special. They cut off weekly library visits at 5th grade, this way they could focus more on the emerging readers in lower grades. The library was open to every teacher as well as a reliable resource.

    ReplyDelete